Friday, October 26, 2007

If the question is "Are we ready"... then the answer is....

well.... how can one every really be READY to become a parent. But if the question is "do you have all the baby gear ready for the baby?" - then the answer is definitely YES! I quit working sometime around July I think it was. And up until about two weeks ago was kept very busy with a number of baby projects. These are the results. The only thing left to make is a baby book/photo album, but I'm waiting for stuff to come in the mail. In the mean time... well, yes... I'm waiting for the baby. May she come soon.


The baby will be sharing a room with us for the first several months. Weston has been very patient and even genuinely excited as he has watched our bedroom be transformed into a nursery.

Yes, at least for the first few months, she has plenty to wear!!! All pre-washed and neatly folded.

Weston and I refinished this changing table back in September. Two of those baskets are full of cloth diapers. Wish us luck!

I refinished this dresser a few months back. Weston wasn't so hot on the drawer pulls I picked. I think he is getting used to them. They were cheap and I like flowers..... I think the baby will too....

This is my second attempt at a homemade boppy cover. I'm bad at putting in zippers, thus the ribbon ties. But I think it makes it so cute. The other side is soft fleece, for the baby.

I found a mobile that played my favorite lullaby - Brahms lullaby - for only $10 - but it was all pink with sparkly pink hanging toys. So I switched them out and made new brightly colored stars and moons. I like it much better now. So does Weston. We agreed on this one.

I inherited by parents old mini-crib. It is bassinet sized - perfect for a newborn. I don't have any "before" picts, but this is the finished product. We repainted it and I had a lot of fun finding old 50's style nursery decals for it. I also made the mattress. I wanted one that was made from all natural products and couldn't find one for a good price, but did manage to make one I think will work very well. My Mom also taught me how to make quick crib sheets, so it comes ready with three, all very adorable I think.

This may have been my favorite project. The blessing dress. It is made from left over lace from my wedding dress and ribbon I got at an estate sale. What will really make it worth it will be seeing her in it. This pict is of the front.

This is the back.....
And these are the bloomers.....


Well, that is all..... unless she's too much longer in coming. Then I might have to make something else to fill the time... waiting for something this good can be rough!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, what a lucky baby, I love the room my favorite is the crib, nice job. You are going to LOVe cloth diapers! I kept meaning to write and tell you how well they were working for us. What kind did you get?? There is just something domestically satisfying about seeing a bunch of diapers out on the clothesline....ahhhh

I can't wait to share baby secrets! Come baby come!!

JennyLyn said...

Is she here Yet? I can hardly wait!

sarahhead said...

the question is... where are some photos of this new precious child, already???

xoxox
aunt sarahhead

Jenny said...

Hi! I'm just a random fan of your blog; you take wonderful pictures and I love how handy you and your husband are! My husband and I are climates away in Texas, but attempting much of the same stuff y'all have...
Specifically, with a baby coming, I'd love to know how you made the mattress and crib sheets, if it's not too difficult to share somehow. I also love the gown you made from your wedding dress, but no doubt that's over my head!
Regardless, thanks for blogging-- it's such inspiration!

Rebekii said...

This comment is for Jenny. It's crazy how blogging can connect people. As for the mattress and crib sheet... I figured out the mattress as I went. I bought a two inch think piece of natural latex padding and cut a piece of inch think ply wood the same size put them together and wrapped the whole thing in cotton batting several times and hand sewed the edges shut, then made a cotton zip cover. It worked really well. The sheets were easy. My Mom showed me the trick. Cut out a rectangle of fabric the size of your mattress including the edges. Then cut a square out of each corner. Sew the cut out sides together to make a corner. Then take the square you cut out and fold it in half to make a triangle. Then sew that onto the corners to make a pocket... a diagram would be handy.. sorry! Anyhow, then finish the edges. SO quick and easy and a nice snug fit. Good luck! And God bless you and your baby soon to come!