Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hawaii - take one

It feels nice to post something on my blog called "oh the places you'll go" that is actually about a place that we went! Oahu, Hawaii. All my life I have said that the one island paradise destination that I didn't really care if I went to or not was Hawaii. I think it just didn't sound exotic enough for my romantic adventurers heart, but I am pleased as can be with that island paradise now. We choose that destination for our big vacation for two reasons - one, we (I) wanted a place that was warm, yet a little more controlled than our last vacation spot (Jamaica) so that I could relax and not worry so much about being in a car accident. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I though the sound of a vacation rather than an adventure sounded nice, especially with a little one in tow. Second - we could get some sailing lessons there for cheap, through the military bases. So Hawaii it was. Besides, our second choice, Spain - to go on a walking vacation - was a little beyond our budget. So Oahu it was and goodness was it beautiful. And relaxing? - yes, it was just that. Just what we all needed. The only thing that would have made the trip better would have been an extra week to spend on another island and see some volcanoes!! Well, We'll just have to do that another time. So here are some pictures from the first four
we were there. I haven't had time to get to the rest of them yet. Enjoy.

On the first day there, we just got settled and then drove up the windward side of the island. This little pen had two piglets in it and was located behind the restaurant where we ate lunch.


Right outside our cabana window (which was actually some renovated barracks on a marine base) was beach and the Kaneohe Bay. It was wonderful to sleep and awake to the sound of the surf. One of the things I loved about Oahu is that there is no fishy smell anywhere. This is due to the fact that the tide does not change the water level much, leaving no smelly seaweed behind. So being right on the beach was, well, delightful.


This is actually the beach on the air force base. We tried to get in some sailing lessons this day - but due to high winds, we just got some beach time. Eva loves the water. She was in it every chance she got and didn't let a little chill stop her.




On Sunday we drove to the west side of the island, looking for Turtle Beach. We didn't find it that day, but did find this lovely spot.




On Monday we took a whale watching cruise. It was also delightful - good food, nice ukelele music, lai making,... and WHALES!!! and yes, the water really was this blue....











More later.....

5 comments:

Mike and Jen said...

SWEEEET!!! I am so excited to see new pics! Youa re such a talented picture taker! I wish you lived by us for many reasons but this is definitely one of them! I love Eva's chunky little thighs in her bathing suit! You guys look like you had a lot of fun......so jealous!

Martha said...

Wow! Wish we could have been there. It looks amazing!

On another note, we have a picture of you that is somewhat reminiscent of you at Bear Lake with a lai on your head...minus the baby and husband of course. :)

Sus Mettler said...

This looks like an amazing vacation! So warm. How I miss the warmth. By the way, you have such a lovely family!

Unknown said...

That sounds so fun. I'm glad you got to got to go to Kaneohe Bay. I used to live in Kaneohe and I miss it a lot. Brandi hasn't ever been to Hawaii but we're hoping to make it there some day.

Helen said...

I laughed at the picture of you making a weird face at the camera and the reaction of Eva..LOL..she's just looking at you like "what are you doing mom?"