Monday, October 6, 2008

Brown Oat Bread

A while back Lindsey called me and asked for my oat bread recipe. Unfortunately I wasn't home when she called and then she wasn't home when I called, so the recipe has never been given. So now I am going to give it to you all and I hope Lindsey will find it. Enjoy.

Brown Oat Bread - makes 4 medium sized loaves

5 Cups very warm water
1 Tbl sugar
2 1/2 Tbl yeast
4 Cups oats

-Mix all these together in a big bread bowl.
-Then add the following.

1/2 Cup honey
2/3 Cup applesauce
4 tsp almond extract
2 Tbl salt
4 Cups whole wheat flour

-Mix well and enjoy the aroma of the almond extract... yummmm
-Next work in ~7 - 8 Cups of bread flour. This can all be done in the big bowl, working the last bit in with your hands. The dough should come away from the sides, but will still be quite sticky. Once you've worked it in, you are good to go. No need to kneed... :)
-Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours, but no longer. If you get busy and forget it, it will taste yeasty.
-Punch it down and form into loaves. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and let the loaves rise for 1/2 hr.
-Bake for 35 min til the tops are a nice darkish golden brown color.
-Remove from the bread tins and let cool on a cookie rack.

This really is my favorite everyday sandwich and toast bread. It is so easy, so quick, and sooo tasty. It will make your parents and grandparents proud.

Tips 1- don't be tempted to leave out the almond extract 2- feel free to substitute sour cream or whole fat cottage cheese for half of the applesauce. 3-if you don't have a lot of honey on hand, use 2/3 C brown sugar.

3 comments:

Mike and Jen said...

Its funny that you posted this because I have been wanting to get this recipe from you lately! Thanks for the post! By the way Eva is soooo stinkin cute. I need her to live closer so I can see her all the time. Oh and one more thing you need to add me to your list of friends because I desperately want to see my name on your blog ;)

Lindsey said...

Aaaaaaaaa Beck I have not forgotten, I think about calling you several times a week, always at the most inopportune times! Glad you posted it I can't wait to try it...although I would rather live next door to you and come try yours...sigh.

Lindsey said...

Two questions.
1. is bread flour just plain old white flour?
2. quick oats or whole oats?
Can't wait to try it!